Arena Scheduling: simple or stressful?

Giving students freedom to choose their year

Working+out+some+problems%2F%2F+Arena+Scheduling+is+a+detailed+process+that+can+begin+to+get+confusing+to+students+and+staff%3B+But%2C+after+adjusting+some+issues%2C+it+is+an+excellent+way+of+providing+students+freedom+to+pick+their+own+classes+and+it+eases+up+the+workload+of+counselors+by+giving+each+student+an+opportunity+to+personalize+their+own+schedule.+%E2%80%9CI+like+the+concept+of+arena+scheduling%2C+however+it%E2%80%99s+super+stressful...I+think+they+make+it+fairly+easy+for+what+it+is+though.+I+like+being+able+to+make+multiple+schedules+ahead+of+time+just+incase+the+classes+I+want+fill+up%2C%E2%80%9D+said+Courtney+Thompson%2C+sophomore.+

Working out some problems// Arena Scheduling is a detailed process that can begin to get confusing to students and staff; But, after adjusting some issues, it is an excellent way of providing students freedom to pick their own classes and it eases up the workload of counselors by giving each student an opportunity to personalize their own schedule. “I like the concept of arena scheduling, however it’s super stressful…I think they make it fairly easy for what it is though. I like being able to make multiple schedules ahead of time just incase the classes I want fill up,” said Courtney Thompson, sophomore.

Ishika Patel , Writer

As the school year begins to come to a close, it is time to start planning for the upcoming year. Arena Scheduling is a way to give more freedom to students when picking classes. This is the second year that RISD has been initiating their new course scheduling system which imitates the college system for high school students.

Arena Scheduling is a good way to choose classes in a simple way; But, it causes stress. You have to get up early and get on your computer first thing in the morning if you want a possibility of getting the classes you wish to enroll in. Coming back to school with some mistakes in your schedule can cause conflict for the first month of the new school year.

The process is simple overall, but the day of Arena Scheduling and the aftermath of it is what gets confusing. Having to choose your classes quickly in Skyward before the thirty or so seats fill up can put lots of stress on students who must wake up at 7:00 a.m. to get a head start. 

On the other hand, it is a privilege for the administrators of Rockwall ISD to give the high school students freedom to choose their schedules. This process allows them the possibility to get classes with friends, which lunch they please, and find which schedule makes them happy. 

To prevent Skyward from crashing and to decrease the stress-level, a possible solution to the chaos of picking your schedule could be to make the time slot later in the day rather than in the morning; Or, holding scheduling during the day so students can get help from staff would be beneficial.

Arena Scheduling is a way to provide freedom to ensure a good and pleasing school year. This fairly new system is still adjusting it’s conflicts, but with staff help and guidance it will become a smoothly running operation in the near future.