The Hawk Times

Resting, respecting, remembering

The history of Martin Luther King, Jr. Day for Rockwall-Heath students and Americans everywhere

Sad%2C+Emptiness+%2F%2F+The+3000+hallway%2C+a+hallway+filled+with+many+types+of+classes+and+that+holds+students+on+a+daily+basis%2C+will+especially+miss+its+students+on+January+21st.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Resting, respecting, remembering

Sad, Emptiness // The 3000 hallway, a hallway filled with many types of classes and that holds students on a daily basis, will especially miss its students on January 21st.

Kassidy Turner, Editor in Chief

The hallways of Rockwall-Heath will be empty next Monday, January 21st.

Students, teachers and faculty will be respecting Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, a national Holiday meant to honor the renowned Civil Rights activist.

MLK had a “seismic” impact on the Civil Rights movement of the 1950s and 1960s, sparking, highlighting and embodying change in every aspect possible. His leadership influenced many around the world, allowing MLK to be one of the most respected men in history.

Although MLK was assassinated in 1968, the United States did not establish a holiday in his memory until 1983. Ever since then, the third Monday of January is respected as a national holiday in memoriam of the great reverend.

Students at Rockwall-Heath and students all over the world know of Martin Luther King. He changed the course of our nation, and many look up to him as more than just a reverend.  

“MLK was someone who changed history for minorities all around. To me, he means fighting for what’s right for everyone. To me, he’s a hero,” said Jordan Williams, Junior.

MLK day is also a day of rest. For some, it’s looked forward to for weeks ahead of time as time off to catch up on homework, have a fun day, or take as many naps as needed.

“I plan on spending my Monday off doing a little school work and hanging out with friends before I go to work that afternoon,” included Jordan.