The Hawk Times

The Rolling Stone

Senior Jasmin Jackson gets glammed up for a night out.

Courtesy Jasmin Jackson

Jasmine Durham, Staff Writer

On the comfy side of the couch, in the Rockwall-Heath Library, Jasmin Jackson a senior and scholar of Heath High school, sits rummaging through a People magazine and simultaneously completes a homework assignment.

To anyone who is a stranger to her demeanor in the library, they quickly walk past her and assume she is a busy teen that struggles to be successful in multitasking.

What people don’t normally realize is that Jasmin is one of the hardest-working people.

“I pushed myself to be better and better everyday. I find new challenges to get me out of my comfort zone. I am passionate about the people that surround me, because I do not surround myself with people who bring me down. I don’t typically have much of a social life, because I work, and invest myself into my school work,” Jasmin says.

Although Jasmin sacrifices her time to work and school, she takes time out of her day to put a smile on someone’s face and encourage people. With her confident stride she walks to class passing the familiar faces who have known her as a person who sometimes appears absent minded.

Born in Louisiana, Jasmin has encountered some hardships.

“Living above the stereotypes of African Americans is just something I’ve always had to face, but people’s eyes bulge when I tell them I have been accepted into 9 colleges with $145,000 worth of scholarships.”

Jasmin picks herself up challenge after challenge. She smiles upon remembering how the most amazing experiences she encountered, in different countries really giving her an opportunity to see how other cultures face hardships and give back to their communities.

Jasmin gives back to her community through volunteering and working, but her experiences in different countries really gave her an opportunity to see how other cultures face hardships and give back to their communities increased her awareness to diversity around the world.

“Seeing the Mayan ruins and experiencing the different cultures and customs of the people that live there, is something so surreal you don’t normally experience.”

Traveling and seeing these people are activities that continue to influence her passion and desire to work in the medical field.

“I always wanted to do something in the medical field, but I never knew I wanted to until I took chemistry, and I knew pharmacy was what I wanted to do,” she says.

Surprisingly the biggest accomplishment for Jasmin was not getting accepted into different universities and overcoming the stereotypical perception of what people think of her, but her biggest accomplishment was, “Graduating with honors and making a difference by being involved in clubs so that I can be involved with the people that matter the most to me and make an impact in their lives.”

Jasmin hopes that the students at Heath high school will ascribe to be leaders in their school and make the decision to work hard so that they themselves won’t be super stressed out in high school and they can be, “confident and optimistic.”