Lake hair, don’t care

The story of a newborn rower and the start to his lifelong passion

Blue water// For many students, lakes are all about wake boarding, tanning, and tubing. For Jacob Davis, home is where the water is. “I spend so much time practicing rowing on the lake. It’s a huge commitment,” says the junior.

Abby Woloss, Opinions Editor

It’s Wednesday night and the lake is calm and a slight breeze is blowing. Some people are out enjoying the view at the harbor. Others are on a boat or parasailing. Somewhere in the distance, there is a rowing team that just finished  a 3 hour long practice. One of those rowers is Jacob Davis.

Davis is a Junior. He moved to Rockwall from Richardson during the second semester of his sophomore year. He was one of the school jocks there and has always been an athlete.

“I’ve always played multiple sports in elementary. Through junior high I played soccer, football, and baseball. When I got to high school, I focused more on football and baseball, but then I kind of got bored. So, I started a new sport: rowing. It’s my favorite sport that I’ve ever played, just because it never gets boring for me. It’s always fun to do.”

Jacob has always had a knack for the outdoors. He says he still remembers when he was younger and taking a break from the A.C. to go outside to play and compete in sports games with his friends.

“I’ve always been an outdoors person. I’ve always loved playing sports and some of my best memories were on Saturdays just playing soccer, football, and baseball.”

Jacob has been rowing for a little more than a year thanks to his dad and friends encouraging him to try it out. He started when he was 16. Although he is closely brand new to the sport, his practice schedule is quite busy.

“I row everyday for about 3 hours, and 4 hours on Saturday. You really have to like the sport to invest that much time into it. It’s very time consuming, but I look forward to it everyday.”

For someone who has played sports all his life, Jacob is no stranger to trying something new. Rowing isn’t as well known of a sport around here, and he says it’s very common for people to ask a lot of questions when he says what sport he is involved in.

“Rowing is not like any other sport I’ve ever heard of, and is by far the most intense. Putting in the power to go faster than all the other boats, and to be in time with all the other rowers is very difficult. Yet, it gets easier as you start going more [to practice] and get the rhythm of it.”

Rowing is a group sport. For Jacob, who likes the idea of teamwork and teammates, it is great. He also has friends on his team that help make the time he spends on the lake more enjoyable.

“I’ve always played group sports, mainly because golf and tennis didn’t really sound very fun when I was younger. So, I just never got into them. I’d play a team sport over a solo one.”

His team also travels across the nation. After all, they need a lake to row on. Next summer, he says they are going to go further than the grounds, or more so waters, of the United States.

“Next summer I think I’m going to Canada to compete. I love travelling, especially with my team and friends. It’s just an awesome experience.”

Although Jacob isn’t out on a football field on Friday night, or swinging a bat for a home run in front of the entire school, he is still performing and playing for someone much more gratifying than the student body: himself. At the end of the day, loving what you do, and doing what you love, is what it is all about.

“Rowing is just a really unique sport, and the commitment and teamwork that goes into these races and practice’s is unmatched in other sports. No one ever has a bad attitude, and is always there because they want to be. It’s a sport I can see myself doing for the rest of my life,” said Davis.