Game, Set, Match!

Longtime Tennis Player makes an Impact

Back to Article
Back to Article

Game, Set, Match!

Dani Alexander, a sophomore at Heath High School, who is number two on the varsity tennis team.

Ishika Patel, Staff Writer, Hawk Happenings Editor

Ace, Ace, Baby! Dani Alexander is a two-year Heath Hawk Varsity tennis player, but she was a tennis champ long before high school. Alexander has been playing her favorite sport for 6 years. She has been to several regional and state tournaments from ages 9 through 11, sometimes months in a row.

“My parents were my motivation to become a tennis player. My mom previously played tennis and they signed me up but little did I know that it would become my favorite sport. I am so glad that they pushed me to do this. ” says the varsity tennis player.

Playing as a sophomore in high school can be difficult with balancing schoolwork and matches. But, Dani says that they hardest part about high school tennis is the fact that students don’t appreciate tennis as a “real” sport. Although people don’t respect tennis as a true sport, she loves how anyone can play and there isn’t a ton of pressure. She also mentions that she has met very influential and inspirational people through tennis.

“Miranda Doulong, a varsity tennis player at Heath as well, has inspired me because we have always been at the same athletic level and we have to continued to push each other past our borders to become better. I have known her since I started playing tennis and we have learned so much from each other.”

She has had an impact on several other teammates over the past two years. Dani has learned many team leadership skills and the importance of bonding with the her fellow players because she’s learned that they are one big family.

Jason Stanford, a three-year varsity team member states that, “Dani is a hard-working player who plays tennis very strongly and is enjoyable to play tennis around.”

“Dani brings a smile to everyone’s face and is very good at tennis. As a sophomore she is a very powerful tennis player,” a teammate who wishes to remain unnamed says.

The aspect that tennis is an enjoyable sport has got her thinking about whether to continue tennis throughout her college years. Alexander thinks tennis is “downright smashing” and will continue to thrive during the school years as a tennis player.