He found his destiny on a path to avoid it

The hopes of improving football changed into something better

Back to Article
Back to Article

Travis Irizarry performing a flight on the high bar during state championship last year.

Camron Green, Staff Writer, Sports Editor

In sixth grade, at Brandenburg Middle School, Travis Irizarry pursued football, and thought taking gymnastics would grant him flexibility that he could utilize in football.

“As I invested more time into the sport, I simply fell in love with it!”

Senior year, at Rockwall-Heath High School, Travis is the team captain of varsity gymnastics.

Football is no longer a part of his ambition. He does gymnastics for the rush of it all.

“I love the feeling of just living when you’re doing the sport. Everything you do has that little aspect of big danger and it just keeps me alive and wanting to do more.”

With seven years of practice, Travis finds the patience it takes to be the least favorable.

“In order to get bigger skills and be a bigger competitor, it takes lots of time to actually progress. It is just pure repetition and attempts for months and even years to be able to do the skills that are big, and it’s frustrating to wait for it a lot of the time,” said Travis.

One of Travis’ biggest accomplishment was doing a double backflip. Despite the patience it required, it was an amazing moment for him.

“It’s a skill I have been going at for years now, and I have suffered multiple sprained ankles trying to have the skill.”

As team captain of the varsity gymnastics, one of the most daunting tasks for him as a leader is to win the “mental game” with his teammates in gymnastics.

“A big part of gymnastics is a mental game, and many younger athletes do not know how to overcome or push through mental blocks. Teaching them how to push through these is important to me, and I enjoy helping athletes learn things they never thought they could.”

The team captain of varsity gymnastics has sacrificed plenty to be where he is now.

“I sometimes have to sacrifice homework for practice and that may show in grades, but I usually take care of it all. I am in band as well and I have to miss concerts and performances for gymnastics meets.”

Throughout it all, Travis acknowledges the challenges before him and usually overcomes them.
“Whenever I set my mind on having a skill, I go all out for it, no matter how long it may take. I worked on the double backflip for two years and I have worked plenty of other skills for equal and more amounts of time. My determination helps me strive for being the best I can be.”