The Hawk Times

Cross Country: One Hill of a Sport

Chasing Medals and Dreams

Back to Article
Back to Article

Cross Country: One Hill of a Sport

Sophomore Nikya Stevens, a cross country team member from Rockwall-Heath High School.

Courtney Thompson, Staff Writer, Advertising Manager

Eat. Run. Sleep. Repeat. Cross country students run here, there, and everywhere. Heath’s cross country team is racing to the top of the charts and the team members are what make it so great. One member, Nikya Stevens, joined the cross country team freshman year and it has been a great experience.

While running was not always a huge part of Nikya’s life, ever since she joined it has become a priority.

“I didn’t really know what I was getting into when signing up in middle school. Luckily, what I was joining was a fun sport and an even better team.” said Nikya.

The team environment is a part of what makes cross country so enjoyable. From team dinners to meet rides, the team bond is unbreakable.

“The team is the best. They are a part of what makes the sport so enjoyable.”

Being on a sports team is great opportunity to create friendships that probably would not have been available. Even if members do not have much in common, they always have a topic to discuss, which is anything XC.

“I may not have met some of these nice people if it weren’t for the team. It’s been a great experience and I’m so glad I’ve created the bonds I have with these members.” said Nikya.

Balancing practices and meets with schoolwork is difficult, but a good opportunity to prepare for future and life’s responsibilities.

Nikya said, “While getting up early to run is tiring, I know I have to push myself to be better. As for school work, I have to make sure I get everything done before running. It‘s difficult getting everything done, but a good way to get ready for real life and having to balance work and home.”

The team members also enjoy having Nikya on it. They love her positive attitude and her hard work.

Manager Maddie Fielding said, “Nikya is a great team member and friend. She puts in the work and it shows. The team wouldn’t be the same without her.”

Nikya’s friends even recognize how much she cares about her running and how she strives to be great.

Maddy Frosch, a friend of Nikyas, said “Sometimes she can’t hangout or go places due to running, which is sad but we get why and are happy she is so dedicated in her sport.”

Nikya, along with the rest of the team, is racing to achieve their goals, in cross country and in school, and their sport is only making them better.