Dairy free not found

“Allergic to ________”

Visually appealing? // The dairy free pizza (bottom) can not even compare to the regular pizza at this Dallas restaurant. Not only did the cheese feel like glue, but it cost almost $5 more than the normal pizza.

Kassidy Turner, Editor-In-Chief

In the realm of food, having a food allergy or intolerance is one of the worst things that can happen to a person. It’s even worse when the allergy develops over time, and you grow up loving and appreciating the things that can hurt you. People are allergic to nuts, gluten, shellfish, and other foods, but perhaps the worst is having a dairy allergy.

Not only is dairy in almost every food as a binding agent, but it tastes great. Cheese, ice cream, butter, and yogurt are all dairy products that someone with a dairy allergy must give up if they are intolerant to it. However, unlike people with gluten allergies or peanut allergies, there is no good substitute for dairy products on the restaurant market, forcing those that must not digest dairy to go without any of the food products that contain it.

For most high school kids, pizza is a staple in their diet. It’s at almost every high school function and is an immediate go-to as an easy meal. For those who have a gluten allergy, they can order specific foods that are gluten free, and they taste almost exactly the same. Dairy is a different story. Non-dairy cheeses found in the grocery store are mostly made of nuts and starches. Their taste is sub par, but the biggest issue surrounding them is their consistency. In restaurants, especially fast-food establishments, non-dairy alternatives are rarities, and definitely do not taste anything like the original.

For those who would argue that some restaurants do offer “vegan” or dairy free cheese/ dairy products, only look at restaurants in or surrounding urban-city areas. These restaurants, especially trendy restaurants, offer alternatives at much heightened prices than normal. A substitute for non-dairy foods can be upwards of $5 more than the regular option. Those with the allergy can not help their allergy, but still suffer the consequences of price, taste, and texture.

Plant-based producers must find better alternatives for dairy-free products. Restaurants must offer these products more consistently and at similar prices. Both of these things could help influence the life of those who have allergies for the better.

No one asks to have a food allergy. No one asks to give up eating things they once loved. The only thing that someone can do to help is give alternatives that don’t feel like you’re eating almond glue. Almost anything can taste better than that.