The Hawk Times

Teacher of the year: from the staff members perspectives

Should students have the privilege to vote for their favorite teacher

Back to Article
Back to Article

Teachers point of view//  Being a two time nominee for teacher of the year, administrative staff team member, Kristin Marceau, said it was

Teachers point of view// Being a two time nominee for teacher of the year, administrative staff team member, Kristin Marceau, said it was "inspiring and empowering to be recognized by peers," but that she also "wish[ed] the students could vote."

Ishika Patel, Writer

Every year at Rockwall Heath High School, the staff gets nominated for teacher of the year by their peers. This prestigious award recognizes a teacher’s talents and leadership skills through their year of teaching. On that note, some teachers wish that the student body could vote, rather than the staff itself.

Teacher of the year is a great way to get the staff involved and recognize the astounding qualities of their fellow educators. Mrs. Kristin Marceau, a member of the Rockwall Heath High School administrative staff, as well as a two- time teacher of the year nominee, said,“the system has always been put in place, but when I was teaching, I wished that students could vote as well. The district wanted the staff to nominate each other, because it is not just about being liked by your students, it is about being a good colleague, a strong teacher, a good staff member, a leader on campus, and about helping others. It’s about what students may not see besides classroom instruction”.

This annual election “gives teachers a totally different feeling knowing they were recognized by their peers,” said Marceau. Systems like these work on team bonding and getting to commend other staff members based on their qualities and skills. It serves a purpose to give recognition to people of the workforce who work hard to achieve excellence and success.

A possible solution to the issue of students opportunity to vote for their favorite teacher is: “teacher of the month” or “teacher of the term”, suggested by Mrs. Marceau. This concept could make the students more involved with the school and they can vote for teachers who have made an impact on their lives.  “While it’s an incredible honor to be recognized by peers, it’s equally meaningful to be recognized by students. I love the idea of establishing a teacher of the month or teacher of the term. Maybe that’s something my leadership students can initiate for the 2020-2021 school year,” stated Kaci Spampinato.

The teacher of the year elections are an excellent way to get the staff involved with each other and recognize professionalism, as well as many other qualities. This award shows an utmost level of respect from the people around Heath, and there are other alternative solutions to get the students opinions about their top pick as teacher of the year. For now, teacher of the year shall remain to only be a vote involving teachers and their co-workers, but students may have their opportunity during the upcoming school year or near future.