The Hawk Times

Stop the Lightning of the Darkside

Back to Article
Back to Article

Stop the Lightning of the Darkside

The Darkside cheers on their football players at a home game. Picture courtesy of @HeathDarkside.

Haley Sanford, Writer

School takes up 13 percent of a students life by the time they are 18 years old, so they might as well try to make it fun. School may be boring, but all school events are supposed to make it bearable.

There are too many students that don’t attend pep rallies, sporting events and even fine art events that are held at the school.

People don’t participate in the excitement of school events that take place like they used to. Over the years the school spirit has dwindled down to most of the students not even showing up to football games. The student section at popular football games used to take up almost three sections worth of bleachers. At the recent homecoming game the student section only took up a section and a half of bleachers.

Some students might say that not everyone is in these events or knows someone participating in them. As this might be the case for many, being surrounded by classmates and cheering for fellow peers is always an exciting experience since everyone comes together.

If a student doesn’t know anyone there, they can make new friends with others in the student section. Another problem may be students may not have the time or money to attend these events. These school events are always planned out months in advance, so they could ask around for dates of important school events that they might want to go to that way they have time to plan ahead. There are also many school events that don’t cost money to get in, but if it does they could try saving up in advance for the ones that they intend on going to.

School spirit is a tradition for many people, whether it is going to school events, volunteering for school spirit nights or participating in school dress up days. Getting through school is a lot more exciting when you have the spirit to have fun. Everyone needs to join the school spirit, so spread the word and make a difference!