Piercings for Female Students, Pass! Piercing for Male Students, Not a Chance!

Back to Article
Back to Article

2018-2019 Rockwall ISD Student Handbook for dress code.

Camron Green, Sports Editor

The Dress Code for male students wearing earrings should be officially discussed, as more male students are beginning to wear earrings. Whether the school should further enforce it, or eventually let it slide, is up for debate.

Those that continue to promote this particular dress code, do so because it is the school policy; however, the sexist views of this policy are not up to standard with the modernization of society.

Those that want to change this particular dress code do not see any reason as to why it should continue to exist; however, administration accepts that it is much harder to change a policy than to create one. When the school changed the dress code for male students being able to have facial hair, their main point was that it was financially worthless, due to handing out disposable razors on a daily basis. If the school were to try and change the dress code for male students being able to wear earrings, it would be difficult to propose a financial reason as to why; yet, the even gender playing field topic would be a heavy reason.

For nearly 14 years, the dress code in Rockwall-Heath High School has rarely been altered since the school’s first year. Only last year, male students were allowed to grow their facial hair, whereas every year prior it was deemed a dress code violation. When this happened, another dress code was proposed to be changed: male students should be allowed to wear earrings. Currently, if a male student were to wear earrings, it would be a dress code violation; yet, how is wearing earrings any worse than walking around with a beard or mustache?