Spirit days: hit or miss?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Spirit days: hit or miss?

Dominic Tan, Noelle Koontz, and Haley Sanford participate in mum day: part of homecoming week.

Ashlyn Parks, Social Media Editor, Writer

Would everyone like to dress up for spirit days? Of course, who wouldn’t? Many kids at Rockwall Heath High school do not dress up for spirit weeks, likely because, well, they aren’t the best. This school needs better dress up days.

School spirit days are supposed to be easy and fun to participate in, but the student body is unable to give their opinions on the themes unless they are in student council; therefore, it makes it difficult to partake in.

For homecoming dress up days, many students do not dress up: there are not many creative and easy options for the themes. The dress up day themes are mediocre, as well as repetitive. And although one would think it would be easy to dress up as the same thing year after year, the themes are not exactly easy to associate with objects around the house. Unless of course, going to the store and buying supplies is what dress up day is all about.

Sometimes, on the rare end of the spectrum, the dress up days are cute; such as, throwback day.  Another festive day last year was alien day. There are many spirit days worth participating in, but there are also many days that are not so motivating to want to partake in. Twin Day seems to be very repetitive, and it occurs almost every year. Two years ago was “toward your future day”,  and it was a creative idea; however, everyone dressed up as doctors: no one, as far as the eye could see, was original. Many spirit days at Heath are created without the consideration of what the student body may want, which is why many students do not dress up.

Being apart of Student Council is the only option when it comes to having a voice on spirit days. One option that could help the majority of students have a voice is letting the student body vote upon them. The student body voting upon dress up days gives a fair chance to the majority of the school to participate in decisions, which will ultimately lead to a better tight-knit community.

The school needs to change their spirit days, and let the students as a whole decide upon them. Spirit days are about the students dressing up together, therefore, the dress up days should be a reflection of what the students on campus want.