Back to school; Back to bad habits

Sports begin and athletes outsmart the grading system

Back to Article
Back to Article

Back to school; Back to bad habits

Even the best of students get caught cheating: Rockwall Heath High school's students are no exception.

Abby Woloss, Opinions Editor

One more grade agonizingly failed. One more tantalizing close game to being benched. One more exception for a student athlete. One more revised grade. One more guilty conscious all for the sole purpose of playing at a Friday night game. Teachers/coaches either pair student athletes with the smartest kids in class, or revise grades to allow athletes the ability to play in the big game and avoid the bench.

Affecting the majority of the student body population for the minority of student athletes affects everyone’s grades. The modification of scores earned on assignments only does the receiver a disadvantage, and affects way to many people to where it negatively impacts everyone. Altering grades for the benefit of one person is unacceptable.

Intentionally changing grades for student athletes is a factor in the school system that no one can deny. Whether it is well known, or a well kept secret, the first hand knowledge of this skill is not far from the hands of certain desperate players and coaches. Students complain about starting a school year with horrible grades, and falling mere centimeters close to failing. Yet, when season starts, and that same teacher is their coach, their grades miraculously begin to significantly improve. If it is not acceptable for unaffiliated sport students, the same should go for student athletes. Grades cannot be altered to eliminate a failing average.

Granted, many students can struggle to maintain a mundane schedule while participating in sports during the school year. They likely spend more time on the turf, than they do studying. However, that is no excuse for a teacher nor a student athlete. If maintaining grades takes a backseat due to heightened pressure to also perform well on the field, the sport being played needs to take a leave of absence.

Withstanding failing grades throughout the year is far more important in the long run than a couple golden years. Failing student athletes either need to work with a tutor, or reflect on their priorities. And consequently, the teachers/coaches need to reflect hard on their morals. It’s highly unprofessional and non beneficial to everyone involved in the long run to change someone’s grade.

For the sake of everyone, just stop, reflect, and halt the alterations put upon student athletes grades to prevent them from failing. It may prevent them from benchment during the rival game, but it wont prevent them from sitting on the sidelines of life. Help them to understand, but don’t do the work for them. However, who cares? After all, a cheating all star quarterback is far better than a hardworking honest tight end.