Holiday cheer the RISD way

Back to Article
Back to Article

Holiday cheer the RISD way

Kassidy Turner, Editor in Chief

No Grinch stole their Christmas this year.

Last Wednesday, Dr. Villarreal and the School Board surprised all Rockwall staff members with a Christmas bonus check like they had never seen before- $1000 each. Every custodian, secretary, teacher, coach, and administrator received the present.

“In my 20 years of teaching, I’ve never received a Christmas bonus. The shock overwhelmed me with gratitude” said Mrs. Spampinato, PALs and Newspaper adviser.

The Heath staff had received an email from administration on Wednesday during 7th period offering a “fun staff meeting with some holiday cheer” at 4 pm. They kindly encouraged everyone to be there for the last minute meeting, and some teachers couldn’t make it with the late notice.

“I was on carpool duty after school that day and I thought I wasn’t going to be able to make it to the meeting. Mrs. Krueger had realized I wasn’t there, and sent me a text saying ‘If you’re still here, get down to the library now!'” added Spamp.

This is the first time that Rockwall ISD has ever done something of this magnitude for their staff members around Christmastime.

“It made me feel appreciated. I’ve been in this district for 17 years, and I’ve never had a bonus like this before. I felt heard and understood by our district, and I think my coworkers can say the same” said Mrs. Krueger, the English department head.

For these teachers that spend their every moment serving the students of their schools, the present made their Christmas. It will provide their families a much needed Christmas break without worry or care over monetary needs.

“I cried like a baby” said Krueger.