The Hawk Times

Hollywood’s Night to Shine

Kassidy Turner, Staff

It’s that time of year again… the time of glitz and glamour as Hollywood’s most famous and prized actors, directors, cinematographers, and stylists come together to award the movies that made an impact this past year. This year’s Oscars were a national event with important characters such as Reese Witherspoon, Sophia Vergara, and even Vice President Joe Biden coming out to present awards and take part of this famous night. The movies nominated  this year were very good, in my opinion. We had movies like the Martian that dealt with surviving on an entire different planet- and movies like the Revenant that presented the idea of survival in the wild after a bear attack and being left for dead. This year’s Academy Awards were definitely one to watch, but with the show’s ratings down 16% from last year, some people would have to disagree.

After Chris Rock tackled the African American actor’s boycotts of the Oscars by saying that Racism in Hollywood had been around for a long time and no one should be worrying, he tried to make sure the crowd was entertained by selling Girl Scout cookies and using comedic acts typically seen by most Oscar hosts. The highlights were made up of events like Leonardo Dicaprio finally winning an award after being nominated for Best Actor a total of six times in his 20 year career, and Mad Max: Fury Road taking home the most wins with six Oscars. Sam Smith went home with a big win, winning Best Original Song for the movie “Spectre” (The newest installment of the ‘007 series.) He performed the song earlier in the show, along with a spectacular rendition of Lady Gaga’s ‘Til it Happens to You,’ a song written for the movie “The Hunting Ground.” The song and movie focus on the problem of Rape and Sexual Abuse.

One thing that I noticed at the Oscars was that everything had an “Agenda.” For example, Chris Rock talked about Racism, and although he made light of it in his monologue, he still addressed the issue throughout the entire program. Another problem brought to viewer’s attentions was Global Warming. After Leonardo Dicaprio won Best Actor, he immediately used his acceptance speech to inform people about the cause of Global Warming. It was almost as if everything mentioned in the show had a greater impact on the world.

The 88th Oscars will definitely be one to remember, because it pleased and angered different groups of people in different ways. It was a big move for Chris Rock to address the issue of racism in Hollywood, being a black man himself. For fans of Mad Max: Fury Road, they will sleep easy until the 89th Oscars. I know for certain next year will be one to watch- I have no idea how the Academy will top this year, and who the Oscars will offend next.