The Hawk Times

The 2nd Annual Hawk-O-Ween Festival

Will Stewart, Staff Writer

The leaves are changing colors to bright crimson and gold; the wind is becoming increasingly more cold and crisp.  This can only mean one thing: fall is upon us and with it come the holidays.  What is your favorite thing about the fall?  Is it the change in temperature and smell of the outdoors?  Or is it the festive decorations being put up and the surplus of candy that you never run out of?  Whichever it is, it can all be found at this year’s Hawk-O-Ween scheduled for Saturday, October 29th from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.

The Hawk-O-Ween is organized and put together by class officers and the student council, with a tremendous amount of help from RHHS teachers who get involved.   The Hawk-O-Ween festival was first thought of by the class of 2013 last year as a way to raise money during the fall semester for the graduating classes after the big spring fundraiser, Dancing with the Hawks.  It soon proved to be too big of a task to be put on by one class and became the responsibility of all of the classes.  After a huge success last year the classes are organizing the second Hawk-O-Ween festival. The festival is open to all age groups, from little kids to high school students.  The age group it seemed most popular with last year seemed to be from pre-school to third and fourth grade, all though there are games and activities geared toward older kids, such as the haunted house.   It is fun for all people who are looking to celebrate the fall, and who want to help support the graduating classes of RHHS.   Mrs. Gregory, one of the teachers in charge of organizing the Hawk-O-Ween, explains what the festival has to offer.  “The Hawk-O-Ween festival is a fall festival that has a pony rides, face paintings, bounce houses, and other carnival type things.”  There was also some unexpected excitement last year when the egg toss, held outside the cafeteria, got a little out of control, and left a large smelly mess to be cleaned up.  Some events that are expected to return and look forward to will be the pony rides, bounce houses, haunted house, hay rides and the Trunk or Treat.  Costume wearing is also encouraged.

So why should you check out the Hawk-O-Ween? The festival is a great place to take younger siblings, and hang out with friends.  You would be having fun all while helping out your fellow classmates. Your admission fee will benefit the graduating classes of RHHS. This fun for all-ages festival is sure to jump-start your holidays!