Lady Hawks Gymnasts for the win

Flipping for the title of District Champs

Flipping with pride // The Lady Hawks gymnasts took the honor of District Champions this past week against Rockwall and several other schools. Several members of the team placed in multiple categories from all over the state. “It was such a great feeling to win districts. My vault score even contributed towards the team score! It was a meet where we pushed ourselves and it showed, and that made winning that much sweeter,” said Kate Seifer, sophomore.

Ishika Patel , Writer

The Lady Hawks Gymnastics team takes the title of District Champs! On April 26th through 27th, the Lady Hawks gymnasts were competing in Bryan, Texas for the grand spot. Heath High School placed first followed by Rockwall High School which placed second.

“Our gymnasts work hard everyday in the gym and in the classroom to be successful student athletes. In the gym at every practice, they are building their strength and confidence to successfully perform their routines at meets. After each meet, we do video review and work on our corrections before the next meet to improve our team scores,” said Jennifer Holden, the Heath High School gymnastics head coach.

The placements of the individual portions of the competition were:

• Spencer Moody placed first in all-round, vault, and floor, as well as second in beam, and fourth in uneven bars.
  • Peyton Moody placed second in all-round, uneven bars, and floor, as well as fourth in beam, and seventh in vault .
  • Bailey Daulong placed second in vault, third in uneven bars, fifth in floor, sixth in all-round, and eighth in beam.
  • Jayme Reee placed third in beam, seventh in all-round, and tenth in vault, uneven bars, and floor.

“There are many factors that motivate me to work my hardest. The first one being that most of the girls who do gymnastics have been doing it their whole life and also compete in club gymnastics. I started in middle school. I really strive to be just as good as those girls. Second, my team is very motivating. We push each other to our fullest potential. Lastly, the rivalry between Rockwall and Heath pushes both teams to compete and practice our hardest,” said member of the Lady Hawks gymnastics team, Kate Seifer.

The Lady Hawks gymnastics team has made it to the state championships as a team 10 times in Coach Holden’s 13 years of teaching in the RISD district. This year marked another victory for Heath, after the gymnastics team advanced past regionals in Highland Park on April 16th and April 17th.

“We have an amazing team full of leaders and athletes who strive for excellence. In the gym at every practice, they are building their strength and confidence to successfully perform their routines at meets. After each meet, we do video review and work on our corrections before the next meet to improve our team scores. We have an amazing team full of leaders and athletes who strive for excellence. They are very competitive and work as a team in practice and at the meets to be the best they can be,” said Coach Holden.