Egg yolks are a flyin’

The reason why the hallways have a peculiar scent to them this week

“All the king’s men couldn’t put Humpty together again”// Students’ failed and successful egg drop projects scatter the floor, and student’s hope for a good test grade fades as their egg splatters on the tile. “If your wondering why the halls smells like breakfast, that is because of physics. It is physics’ fault,” said junior Ruthie Caddell.

Abby Woloss, Opinions Editor

One can just smell crispy bacon and warm maple syrup on cue. The aroma is far too enticing to not just imagine a breakfast buffet. Pancakes and waffles. Eggs Benedict and omelettes. The most quintessential breakfast to all morning eating lovers out there. The only problem here though: these eggs aren’t cooked and they aren’t going to be. They also aren’t being attempted to land in a skillet or on someone’s plate for that matter.

For the last few days, eggs have been falling from the sky. No not really, they actually have been falling from the balconies on the fifth floor. Students in junior year physics classes have had the commonly known “egg project” assignment to complete in recent weeks. These past two days have been the tester day: to see if little Humpty Dumpty would fall out of his flying device and crack or not.

Many students’ little, or rather large, egg aviator flyers did not make the 27 meter fall. For some, it was utterly devastating.

“It was hard and my egg broke… I’m honestly really sad. There goes my egg and my physics grade,” said Ruthie Caddell, junior.

Her teacher, Coach Casey Williams, is one of the many teachers to blame for the raw egg smell infesting many floors and trash cans around school. When asked where the idea to initiate this kind of project came from, Coach Williams response was one for the books.

“ It came from the physics Gods… no not really. It came from a physics department. It’s been a generic gravity drop project for years. I’m sure tons of students in the U.S. do it as well.”

To him, the project would be more beneficial to do in class. There, he could give the students only so many materials, and everyone would have to put as much effort into it as the person next to them. His legendary response to anyone who would have questions on what to do?

“Do what you need to do to be successful.”

Although the project instilled mass anxiety in many, and pure joy in few, the project ultimately was claimed to be a success. And although Coach Williams was almost decapitated by a flying egg in a wooden crate, all was good.

“It was really funny to watch everyone’s eggs break. Mine didn’t, but I did get egg all over myself trying to clean everyone else’s up off the floor,” said junior Addison Meador.