The Hawk Times

Dancing Their Way to Victory

Katie Chandler, Staff Writer

The actors busily bustle about under bright lights and a ticking clock as they hurriedly build their set. After their seven minutes of build time, the actors are ready to take their places, and the show is ready to begin. A lot of hard work and preparation has gone into this particular moment. The cast and crew members have dedicated endless hours to this very performance: the UIL One Act Play in hopes of advancing into the next round.

The competition in UIL Theatre is stiff, as many talented actors from many schools compete in front of judges to advance. However, much like sports competitions, there are many rules by which the competitors must abide. “You get seven minutes exactly to set up the stage and then strike everything down at the end,” said senior, and one of the lead roles, Meredith Bennett. “They time you, so it can get pretty stressful at times.” The play must also be one act, and is restricted to certain number of actors and crewmembers, so even the audition process is strenuous. “While it is a lot of work, it is also a lot of fun,” said senior crewmember Sierra Shepard.  “You really get a lot of time to bond with everyone in the cast. It feels like a big family!”

The one act this year is a play entitled “Dancing at Lughnasa,” which depicts the story of 1940’s Ireland, with a family of three sisters as the focus. The story mainly focuses on the relationships between the characters. It centers on their struggle with their poor socioeconomic status and the hardships they face with their soiled reputations (sorry, not giving away any spoilers here!). The play is directed by Kirsten Dodgen and consists of a solid cast starring Meredith Bennett, Kenzie Osborn, Michael Logue, and many other talented RHHS actors.

In their first round of the competition, “Dancing at Lughnasa” blew all of the other schools out of the water, earning Heath not just first place in districts but advancement into the next round of competition. “It’s going to be difficult,” sophomore Kenzie Osborn said, “but it is so much fun and I am so proud of the entire cast and crew.” Winning districts is only the beginning, as the actors and crewmembers are prepared to advance to the next round. “We are ready for the next round,” Bennett said. “Everyone here is astonishingly talented. Even if we don’t advance, the entire experience has been truly amazing.”