Trendy or insensitive

Seeing both sides of the media

Making+its+way+to+the+classroom%2F%2FAfter+finishing+class+work%2C+a+senior+student+takes+a+break+and+watches+the+movie+%27Bird+Box%27+for+the+first+time.+%22I%27ve+heard+good+things+about+%28the+movie%29%2C+but+I+wanted+to+see+for+my+own+opinion%2C%22+she+said.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Trendy or insensitive

Making its way to the classroom//After finishing class work, a senior student takes a break and watches the movie 'Bird Box' for the first time.

Making its way to the classroom//After finishing class work, a senior student takes a break and watches the movie 'Bird Box' for the first time. "I've heard good things about (the movie), but I wanted to see for my own opinion," she said.

Haley Sanford

Haley Sanford

Haley Sanford

Haley Sanford, Staff Writer

Viral videos. Trending memes. Local news. The movie that has invaded all sources of media, Bird Box. 

Within a week after Bird Box was released, Netflix already had 45 million accounts watch it, making it the most popular movie ever released on Netflix.

“It makes sense. Everyone was talking about Bird Box, and it was all over social media. I watched it, and thought it was good; so, now when I hear someone hasn’t watched it yet, it shocks me,” said a Heath student. 

Viewers immediately reacted with memes over social media that spiraled into the viral #BirdBoxChallenge, which soon ended up on many news networks around the country.

“I feel like many people on Instagram are disrespecting the blind community, by making memes and doing things with blindfolds: like tattooing people, and trying to do dumb challenges. They are making fun of them,” said senior student, Skylar Hughes.

The #BirdBoxChallenge features people putting on blindfolds as they do every day activities. From this challenge, many people began to realize the troubles that blind people encounter; while others, use it as an advantage to insult those who are visually impaired.

“Understanding the values of a blind person could possibly give a better aspect at their daily lives due to limited sight and actions,” said Dominick Tan, senior. “Not only that, but [the Bird Box media] could also be a way for most people to take action to create a change. They could make the blind feel more welcome, because not many people treat them equally for their disabilities.”

Millennial’s made it their own, creating multiple sides to the overall reasoning behind it. This was interpreted in a new way- creating a way for people to be offended easily.

“[The memes and challenges] could be disgraceful and an insulting towards them. This is due to the people actually not thinking about how it could hurt true blind people,” said Dominick. “After seeing the movie though, I still think it’s a great movie to watch, because it gives off challenges the challenges faced when attempting to just survive.”